Au Pair in Spain
About the au pair programme
The Au Pair programme can be a great adventure for any young person. You can discover your dream part of the world, find out what life there is like and you’ll be completely immersed in a foreign culture, thanks to which you’ll get to know it from the inside. Most importantly, you can learn the country’s language, as you’ll be surrounded by it. Such a trip is also a unique opportunity to make new friends and have a “second family”.
Remember that the Au Pair is provided with free accommodation and meals, sometimes language courses, and pocket money that can be spent on leisure, trips or simply saved. A stay of several months away from your own family is also a real test of character, as well as an opportunity to become independent.
The Au Pair is not a full-time nanny nor do they do all the housework. The Au Pair’s job is to look after the family’s children, and it is primarily about cultural exchange – getting to know a given country, its customs and learning the language. The Au Pair becomes, in a way, the older sibling of the children and the host family often treats them as a full member of the family. Au Pairs also receive a small salary; it’s not much, but it is worth adding that you don’t pay for accommodation, food or bills.
Advantages of coming to Galicia
Galicia is not the most well-known international destination for tourists, apart from the thousands who do the Camino de Santiago, but that in a way makes it more authentic.
This region is located in the northwest of Spain, just above Portugal, and can boast of being the "Autonomous Community" with the most kilometres of coastline in Spain. With so much coast, you will find dream beaches and islands where you can enjoy a walk, a swim or water sports such as surfing or rowing.
Thanks to the fact that it is a region with few foreign tourists, you will have the opportunity to practise the language without the temptation of speaking English or your native language, which will help you to make enormous progress in understanding and speaking Spanish.
In addition, Galicia offers one of the most appreciated gastronomies in the whole country, with fresh seafood, fish, excellent and prestigious white wines, good meats, cheeses and the famous "empanadas Gallegas" that definitely you should try. Here you can enjoy a drink and tapas on any corner where you will surely meet friendly and welcoming people.
Galicia is also known for its green landscapes and its history; it is the final destination for all those travellers on the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.
From cities like Vigo, you can easily explore other parts of the country as well as Portugal as it is very close to the border.
Your Au Pair experience in Galicia will give you a real immersion in the culture of Northern Spain, its language and an endless number of activities and visits to other places of interest.
Au Pair programme requirements
- Between 18 and 30 years old.
- Secondary education (minimum).
- No criminal record.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish or English.
- References from work experience in taking care of children (obligatory).
- Good health.
- A valid driving license is beneficial.
Documents you will need to apply
- A presentation letter (Dear Host Family Letter).
- An Application Form completed in English or Spanish.
- A formal Childcare Reference issued by parents of the children you cared for.
- A formal Character Reference of the candidate issued by a teacher, priest or employer.
- Photos and video of you (and preferably with your family and / or with children you took care of).
- A Medical Certificate issued by your doctor.
- European Health Insurance Card (or if non EU citizen, another insurance document).
- A Criminal Record Check (declaration of no criminal record).
- A copy of a passport or an ID card.